2014 Sidewalk Art Show Winners
2014 SIDEWALK ART SHOW OFFERS OUTSTANDING SELECTION OF FINE ART BY REGIONAL AND NATIONAL ARTISTS
Roanoke, Va. (May 31, 2014) – The Taubman Museum of Art today announced the prize and award winners of the 56th Annual Sidewalk Art Show, presented by Kroger. Two judges, Leila Cartier, curator at the William King Museum of Art in Abingdon and Clover Archer Lyle, director at the Staniar Gallery at Washington and Lee University in Lexington selected the winners.
“56 years in the business is quite an accomplishment. I am humbled by the overwhelming positive response we receive each year from the entire region — and we don’t do it alone,” said Della Watkins, the director of the Taubman, while addressing the stage before the awards presentation for this year’s one-day event.
- Best in Show, sponsored by Grand Home Furnishings – Kinsey Hinrichs (Hinrich dioramas to the right)
- Second Prize – Marti Mocahbee
- Third Prize – Minh Martin
- Paul Ostaseski Memorial Award, sponsored by the family of Paul Ostaseski – Edgar Reims
- Allen Ingles Palmer Memorial Watercolor Award, sponsored by the Palmer family – Aili Wang
- Drawing/Original Printmaking Award – Anne Wooster
- Fine Craft Award – Nell Fredericksen
- Mixed Media Award – Bonnie Burt
- Painting Award, sponsored by The Little Gallery at Smith Mountain Lake – Mead Maxwell Mitchell
- Photography Award – Leo Charette
- Sculpture Award, sponsored by LinDor Arts – Kinsey Hinrichs
- Mickie Kagey Watercolor Award, sponsored by the friends and family of Mickie Kagey – Robin Poteet
- Anstey Hodge Advertising Group Award for Excellence in Design – Bonnie Burt for “Figures Intertwine”
- Art of Mobility Award, sponsored by Ride Solutions – Leah Thompson for “Metro I” [note: “I” is a roman numeral]
About the Sidewalk Art Show
One of southwest Virginia’s most anticipated summer traditions, the Sidewalk Art Show infuses downtown Roanoke with creativity and creates a premier destination for fine art shopping that offers visitors the opportunity to meet and talk with exhibiting artists. All of the works exhibited are for sale, including original paintings, prints, watercolors, etchings, mixed media, fine art photographs, fine crafts and sculpture. Over 100 outstanding artists, many well known and others recently discovered, show and sell the highest quality of fine art and craft. The 2014 Sidewalk Art Show features artists from as far away as Maine and Florida, with a strong representation of artists from across Virginia. This year’s show included live music, live action painting by Hollins University art professor Jennifer D. Anderson, and a wine and beer garden, sponsored by Poe and Cronk Real Estate Group.