2011 Sidewalk Art Show
The Sidewalk Art Show, proudly presented by the Taubman Museum of Art, is located in historic downtown Roanoke, Virginia, on the streets surrounding the 19th century City Market, a block away from the museum. Since 1958 the Sidewalk Art Show has celebrated and supported the creation of original fine art by some of this region’s and nation’s most promising contemporary artists, and craftsmen. Organized by the Volunteer Guild of the Taubman, the Sidewalk Art Show is visited by thousands of people who come from throughout the region to view and collect the artistic production and creativity of more than 160 artists. In so doing, artists and patrons alike have formed an extraordinary experience on the streets of the city and in the museum that supports our creative community as well as the educational initiatives of the museum.
This annual tradition continues to grow in size and welcomes visitors to Roanoke’s historic downtown area nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, just minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. The 2011 Sidewalk Art Show will open Saturday June 4 from 10 AM to 5 PM, and continue on Sunday June 5 from 11 AM to 5 PM.
|April 1:||Registration Deadline|
|April 15:||Confirmation mailed to artist|
|May 15:||Deadline for withdrawal with full refund (less $35 application fee)|
|June 4:||7:00 am – Check-in begins: Free Breakfast for artists|
10:00 am – All works must be in place all day for judging
5:00 pm – Show closes for the day; Awards presentation to follow
|June 5:||11:00 am – All works must be in place and award winners should display prize ribbons for spectators.
5:00 pm – Show closes
Standards and Rules
Submitted images will be used for evaluation to assure that the art fits into the Taubman Museum of Art’s Sidewalk Art Show standards set forth in this prospectus:
- The artist is responsible for his or her art and personal effects for the duration of the show and for displays and art left Saturday night. Although security guards will be on site Saturday night, it is recommended that art be removed from the show overnight.
- The Taubman Museum of Art and the Sidewalk Art Show committee do not assume responsibility for works on display or for display equipment.
- The artist is responsible for handling sales and Virginia sales tax (5%).
- The Taubman Museum of Art does not charge commissions.
- Animals, glass containers and alcohol are prohibited.